Sunday, December 14, 2008

Didn't See That One Coming!!!

So the facial expression on this tiger cub represents the facial expressions you may have seen on several faces, young and old at the Bevans household tonight! I haven't posted in quite a while for lack of anything interesting to say...well I got one for you.
On Sunday evenings all the family in town gets together for dinner. Now usually these get togethers end up being quite dull, mostly laid back evenings full of food and pointless conversations (don't get me wrong, I love it). Well we had finished dinner and were sitting around chatting in the living room as usual when a knock came at the door. My poor 10 year old niece, followed by all the other little ones answered the door..thus the surprised tiger face. All my niece said was "Grandma, it's for you," then she just stood at the door and stared. When my mother got to the door, all she said was "Let me get my husband," she also had the surprised expression on her face. Next my father came to the door, and at this point I was very curious as to who was there. Well, again with the surprised look, and then I saw what all the concern was about. My dad invited a topless woman into the house...Yes I said a topless woman!!! We were all surprised by the unusual company before us, and let me just add AWKWARD! This woman was holding a shirt halfway over her chest, and her poor face had blood smeared above her eye, and she was overall a wreck. She was clearly drunk and disoriented, and of coarse we were all thinking she had just been raped and beaten. She had apparently come out of a van that was now parked in the middle of the road in front of my parents house. We didn't know if someone was in there with her or what, but we called the police and let them figure it out. Oh yes, we had three police cars, and a fire truck in front of the house, and I'm sure the poor neighbors were wondering who had died at the Bevans house. It was a huge mess, and the poor lady was not wanting to talk to the police, although I wouldn't either if I had just been let out of prison this past summer :)
So one of the police officers recognized her, and told us that she had been kicked out of her parents home (mind you she was like late 30's at best) and she was living in her van. He was certain that she had simply fallen down because she was drunk, and had probably not been beaten, although she claimed that her mother hit her. All in all, it was a really classy situation..not. Eventually they were able to remove her from our home, and take her to the hospital. We really did feel bad for her, but we were happy to have everybody leave so we could put some order back into the house. I think the kids were probably scared for life, but what can you do right? I will say that there was nothing dull about tonight, however I would not wish to repeat such a night for some mere excitement, would you?

10 comments:

Carissa said...

Hey, I thought that type of thing only happened in my neck of the woods! HA HA, welcome to our life. Strange people (never topless though) come to our door probably every 3 months with all kinds of stories. Not to mention leaving their vehicles in our driveway for 2 weeks. Oh what a cherished memory you will all have of this festive holiday season. Way to go for getting into the spirit of things and helping out those in need. :)

Jerolyn and Matt said...

Wow. Okay. That's a little scary. I bet you were looking forward to your boring family nights after that! Ha ha. Anyway, we did get a little scare on our blog. Some lady from who-knows-where commented and said that she just found our blog and really enjoyed it or something like that. So that's when I decided it was time to go private. Weird, huh? Anyway, your kids are too darn cute! And congrats on Hailey using the potty! That's awesome! Hopefully Alora will be getting to that point soon, although she hasn't shown much interest either. Oh well, the joys of parenting! Hope you guys have a great Christmas! Take care!

rachel said...

You didn't get a picture of her??? What kind of blogger are you, Kim? Geez.


;)

Teresa said...

Oh, my goodness. I had the same thought as Jerolyn in that you all may have a new perspective on boring Sunday family dinners. How are you going to top(less) that?!

Rachel, you crack me up...

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

Your details are a bit off little sis. I guess that comes from escaping to the next room instead of enjoying the excitement :) She was is her 50's, there was an ambulance and a tow truck too, and the reason the kids all rushed to the door was because YOUR husband had been yelling at Hailey that Santa was here, so she would come downstairs. It was definitely NOT Santa!
(If you want to know why I deleted my first post, it was to fix my spelling, LOL)

Mark and Shauna said...

WOW! I don't even know what to say about that- that's crazy! What a surreal moment- ya, hopefully that never happens again! How scary! Poor kids!

LeaAnne said...

ok..I happen to KNOW there are pictures of this whole deal out there!! ;)
That is just NUTZ!

Alli said...

MAN! We miss all the excitement. You guys get pretty wild down there in Eugene.

Ashlee said...

Hahahaha, I died laughing. That is an awesome story that will be told around the campfire for years to come. I LOVe it. Although it is a bit disturbing:)